William Ross started his business in 1826, in John Street, the heart of the Legal Community of Bristol; producing documents that had to be copied in copperplate onto skin. It was an occupation that required extensive skill and ability.

In 1884 William Ross formed a partnership with his nephew Alfred Ross and W & A Ross was created. William died just a few years later, and Alfred inherited the company. He employed a number of law writers to work for him; and in the days when the quill was still being used, his staff sometimes had to work around the clock to ensure that deadlines were met. Today, we still boast a quill in our logo as a reminder of our dedication to ensure customer satisfaction.

As the years moved on one of Alfred's sons was brought into the company but sadly died during the First World War, followed by Alfred in 1920. Hubert Ross, Alfred's brother, then took up the reins but the arrival of World War II took its toll and the company actually closed for several years. It wasn't until 1945 that it re-opened in Taylor Court - one of the most famous doorways in Bristol.

In 1948 Hubert's son, Ivan Ross, joined the company. Moving with the times he helped transform the business by shifting the emphasis to legal and general stationery. This was the only way forward as hand written documents were no longer needed thanks to the advent and popularity of the typewriter. In 1962 the company moved to the premises on Fairfax Street and experienced a further 32 years of prosperity.

In 1994 Ivan Ross decided to take a well earned retirement and W A Ross Ltd joined the SET Group of Companies - another market leading family owned business in Wales and the South West; and the Company has moved from strength to strength. The solid base that was inherited was used to move the Company forward; only a few changes were introduced - we are now Ross Office Supplies offering our customers a one stop shop.

In 2010 the SET Group of Companies bought the Martin Luck Group, in Plymouth; which included Brewers in Helston, Cornwall, with their specialised Print Works. Brewers was established in 1836, and one of their old letterpress printing machines is still on display in the Victorian Village in Flambards, Helston. This has given us a significant foothold along the M5 corridor, and increased our buying power again, so we can pass on significant savings to our customers.

Today, Ross Office Supplies are part of the largest independent office supplies company in the UK, and we pride ourselves on our commitment to our customers. We are sure the Ross family would be proud.

Offices on Days Road

Offices on Days Road

We moved to these offices in Days Road in 1994 after 32 years on Fairfax Street.

Established 1826

Established 1826

William Ross started his business in 1826 at the heart of the legal community in Bristol.

Ross Warehouse

Ross Warehouse

Inside one of our warehouse and distribution centres